Troop 17 cordially invites all current Webelos and other boys and their parents interested in Boy Scouting to our Troop Open House on Tuesday December 6, 2016 from 7:00-8:15PM at the Church of the Incarnation, 1465 Incarnation Drive, Charlottesville, VA (map).
We will be making camp doughnuts and starting and building a campfire with flint and steel. This will be a fun and informative event to show what Troop 17 has to offer and answer any questions you may have about Boy Scouting or our Troop.
Please Contact Us to RSVP, if you have questions, or would like to discuss Troop 17.
For the third consecutive year, Troop 17 in 2016 has earned the Boy Scouts of America’s Journey to Excellence Gold Award. This prestigious award recognizes the top 10% of Boy Scout units nationwide, and is presented to Troops based on a thorough assessment of overall program quality including rank advancement, Webelos-to-Scout transition, camping, community service, patrol method and boy leadership development, training, and budgeting and planning.
Boy Scout Troop 17 invites local Webelos and their parents to our STEM weekend at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, WV on December 3-4, 2016. This has been a very popular and fun event for both Scouts and Webelos considering joining our troop over the years. You have the choice of camping under the stars or staying in the NRAO bunkhouse.
The NRAO site at Green Bank is one of the leading radio astronomy sites in the world, and offers the unique chance for the boys to operate a real radio telescope and collect data from light years away!
Program: Scouts and parents will be involved with the following activities:
- Tour the NRAO facility and see the worlds largest steerable radio telescope up close
- Explore the solar system and Milky Way – Scouts will operate a 40-foot radio telescope
- Star Lab Planetarium – Learn about major and minor constellations
- Activity/Learn about light pollution
- Activity/Learn about and go on a hunt to find radio pollution
- Make an optical telescope and use it
- Use planetarium software to simulate phases of the moon
- Boy Scouts will earn the Electronics Merit Badge
- Webelos will work on Webelos Adventures in Science elective
- Saturday Lunch: Bring a bag lunch
- Saturday Dinner: Included in cost – Eat in Cafeteria
- Sunday Breakfast: Included in cost – Eat in Cafeteria
- Sunday Lunch: Included in cost – Boxed lunch
What to Bring:
- Scout uniform
- Bag lunch for Saturday
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Tent and flashlight (if camping)
- Card games/other games for evening entertainment